All ECI Email accounts have moved to Connect - UCSB’s email and calendaring service powered by Google’s G Suite for Education. G Suite for Education is a collection of cloud computing productivity and collaboration software from Google. It includes Google's popular web applications such as Google email, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts, Docs and Sheets. G Suite provides a complete package of communication and collaboration tools suitable for any device.
Why did we migrate to Connect?
- Ultimately it is a better user experience with additional functionality
- Google has better spam and virus protection
- It is protected by legal contract (see here for details) http://www.connect.ucsb.edu/security_and_privacy/uc-google-contract
- No scanning of your data for ad generation and no ads are displayed
- FERPA compliant
- A large number of ECI accounts previously forwarded mail to external providers and do so generally without protection of a legal contract
- Additional collaboration functionality and security (MFA is available)
- Again, it has become the standard collaboration tool used across campus
Who migrated to Connect?
- Everyone with an ECI account (migration coincided and was coordinated with the ECE Connect migration)
- All departments and centers that ECI hosted mail for
- Faculty, staff, and students
- Mailing lists will eventually be migrated to Google Groups
When did the migration occur?
Summer 2017: Please refer to the Calendar and Project Waves page