All ECI Email accounts are moving to Connect - UCSB’s email and calendaring service powered by Google’s G Suite for Education. G Suite for Education is a collection of cloud computing productivity and collaboration software from Google. It includes Google's popular web applications such as Google email, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts, Docs and Sheets. G Suite provides a complete package of communication and collaboration tools suitable for any device.
You will retain your existing email address
You will retain all of your current email
On the morning after your migration you email client settings will need to be updated (we will help)
Why migrate to Connect?
- Ultimately it will be a better user experience with additional functionality
- Google has better spam and virus protection
- It is protected by legal contract (see here for details) http://www.connect.ucsb.edu/security_and_privacy/uc-google-contract
- No scanning of your data for ad generation and no ads are displayed
- FERPA compliant
- A large number of ECI accounts currently forward mail to external providers and do so generally without protection of a legal contract
- Additional collaboration functionality and security (MFA is available)
- Again, it is becoming the standard collaboration tool used across campus
Who will migrate to Connect?
- Everyone with an ECI account (migration will also coincide and be coordinated with ECE Connect migration)
- All departments and centers that ECI hosts mail for
- Faculty, staff, and students
- Mailing lists will be migrated to Google Groups
How will the migration occur?
- The migration will occur in four waves starting in June (early adopters) and finishing at the end of August
- The process will involve transferring everybody’s existing mail to Connect
- For each wave of migration there will be an initial transfer and migration of all old mail prior to the cut over date (see below). There will then be a final migration of any new mail received after the initial migration and prior to the cut over.
- There should be no loss of mail!
- For each wave there will be a cut over date after which you will no longer get mail from ECI directly but from Connect
- On the cutover date email clients will have to be reconfigured or people may choose to use the web interface
When will the migration occur?
Please refer to the Calendar and Project Waves page
Who is involved with the migration?
- Mike Edwards is the ECI technical lead
- All of the COE IT staff will be involved at some level of this effort
- Desktop support staff
- Server support
- ETS (Enterprise Technology Services)
- James Kantrim is the project manager
- Shea Lovan is the technical lead